Whilst I’m at home on sick leave with my gallstones (pre-op tomorrow, YAY!), I’ve developed a love for cooking – whether it’s being more adventurous with my morning porridge or doing a spot of baking, I’m really enjoying it.
My family and I have been using Coleman’s recipe mixes for quite some time now and our firm favourites are Cottage Pie, Shepherds Pie and Chicken Casserole. They add so much flavour to your dish and with the evenings becoming even more colder, a good hearty meal is just what you need.
On Christmas Eve, I’ll be making a huge cottage pie and I wanted to share the very easy recipe with you all..
450g lean minced beef
Peas (I personally don’t measure them out, a couple of handfuls does the job)
4-5 potatoes for mash
1 packet of Coleman’s cottage pie mix
- Set your oven to 220 degrees
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes before boiling in a pan of hot water
- Fry the mince until golden brown, draining the fat mid-way
- Boil the carrots until soft
- Add the carrots, onion and peas into the frying pan
- In a measuring jug, add 300ml of cold water as well as the Coleman’s sauce and give it a jolly good stir before adding to the frying pan
- When your potatoes are soft, mash with butter + milk
- Once your mince + veg has been simmering in the Coleman’s mix for about five minutes, add to an oven proof dish
- Pop the mash potato on top and make a funky pattern with a fork
- For extra oomph: grate some cheese on top
- Cook for 30 minutes until golden brown or to 40 minutes for extra crunch
I could eat this all day, every day. I’m definitely going to make a shed load on Christmas Eve for the family.
What’s your favourite Winter Warmer?